Monday 3 May 2021

Learning How to Cook Fish.

 

I think I did okay, but I would like to cook it hotter, perhaps a bit longer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The other day, I was down on the riverbank and it would seem that the #pickerel were running.

This was confirmed by a #native of the area, a member of #unceded territory, and all that sort of thing. Disclaimer: we do purchase native plants and herbs from around here and all that sort of thing. So far, we haven’t bought any fish. It is tempting, though. I would sure hate to ruin it.

I say that because there were a dozen boats, replete with fisher-guys, and clearly they were after something.

I don’t have any pickerel, which are running about $14.00 a pound, and selling fish and game are sort of illegal although I don’t really know the laws, suffice it to say, that the sheer thought of properly cooked pickerel sort of makes me salivate, and at times, I even dream about it.

I have to admit, I have been tempted. But first, I need to learn how to cook such an investment.  

We are using this original fish stuff.

Coated, in a pan sprayed with non-stick butter-flavored stuff.

This coating has all the limitations, but after buying it, I hate to throw it away, perhaps thinking that I might be doing it wrong...

A shore lunch, right, although this is a crummy old two-bedroom apartment, in the typical, working-class walk-up apartment, in a grimy, northern, industrial town in the northern hemisphere. We can only fantasize about actually having a boat, a fishing rod and some leisure time…

This here particular fish is actually a Highliner product, a couple of frozen fillets of haddock, which we picked up a week or so ago at Food Basics.

We cracked in some additional black pepper, sprayed our tinfoil with butter-flavored cooking spray, and popped that in the oven at 400 F, why, we don’t actually know, but we just want to see what happens.

We can always send out for Arby’s or whatever.

Some of the nicest fish we ever ate came from a food bank. These frozen portions were vacuum-sealed, easily a foot or more long, and a half an inch on one end and an inch thick on the other. This was when I realized that I really needed to learn how to cook fish—just think about it ladies and gentlemen.

Those were quite good coated with flour and a dozen or more herbs and spices of my own concoction, and quite frankly, I might want to go back and explore that again. I tried that one out on a neighbor, and she thought it was pretty darned good. But cooking fish would appear to be more art than science...if only one could learn it.

I could easily retire, go down south to the islands, and get a job cooking fish just about anywhere.

Quite frankly, I would be worth my weight in gold, and that is quite a lot of money these days.

 

END

 

You want the right beans for that.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment